Cheers to you for taking our health check. That means you're not OK with business as usual. (We're not, either.)
Answer yes or no to these questions:
- Is our business plan (at least a summary) readily available to employees online or in printed form?
- Are we asking for meaningful individual contributions to reaching our goals?
- Do we have an annual employee meeting or retreat to share benchmarks and results?
- Do we send out updates to our employees at least quarterly?
- Can we share updates in multiple media: online, printed, special events, etc. to accommodate different learning styles?
- Do we have multiple locations? If so, do we have strong intra-office sharing and collaboration tools?
- Is HR able to articulate our purpose and vision when they're recruiting?
- Do we have orientation procedures that include our purpose and vision?
- Do we have a "here's how we do it" handbook—not just an employee manual?
- Is our purpose part of our everyday conversations?
- Do employee performance reviews include evaluations of how they're executing on the purpose?
- Do our board members get a job description that emphasizes our brand beliefs and purpose?
- Can board members readily tell others about our purpose and why they're part of the organization?
- Do they?
Count your YES answers:
- 12-14: SUPER - we want to interview you for a blog piece.
- 7-11: Not tragic, but you're a bit flabby in spots. Time to kick it up a notch
- 3-6: You've got a long list of exercises ahead. Don't wait for New Years resolutions.
- 1-2: It's time for an intervention and CPR.
No matter your score, we'd love the chance to talk with you about how to serve up some cold, refreshing Kool-Aid and convert lukewarm people into some raving fans.